Roofing Systems To Protect Your Facility
Spray polyurethane foam roofing systems are constructed by spraying a two-component liquid that forms the base of the adhered roof system. The mixed liquid expands 30 times its original volume in a matter of seconds, forming a rigid foam plastic that chemically bonds to the surface to which it is sprayed. The closed cell structure of the foam provides the waterproofing, but must be protected by coatings or other coverings to prevent UV surface degradation. SPF can be installed in various thicknesses to provide slope to drain or meet a specified R-value.
Life expectancy depends on the original application and long term maintenance of the system. It is currently estimated at approximately 30 years to indefinite depending on upkeep, as the SPF changes very little with age. Semi-annual inspections and inspections after events such as hails storms, tornadoes, and hurricanes are recommended to insure longevity of the system. Re-coating at regularly scheduled intervals extend the life of system and is require to achieve full life cycle.
Why We Use SPF on Roofs:
SPF roofs can last indefinitely and hold their insulation value forever. They withstand extraordinary weather events – which is why SPF was chosen for the new roof on the Norfolk Scope Arena. This roofing system excels when:
- Additional insulation is required
- Critical operations inside cannot be interrupted by leaks
- The roof substrate has numerous penetrations
- Roof deck is an unusual configuration
- Roof is in a wind-prone area
- Lightweight materials are required
- Slope must be added to provide positive drainage
SPF on Roofs:
- Can be applied rapidly with little or no disruption to the facilities.
- Requires fewer people to apply, reducing the likelihood of accidents.
- Eliminates the need for multiple levels of roofing required by conventional systems.
- Conforms to all roof shapes and types.
- Can be applied directly over most commercial construction materials.
- Produces energy savings of 30% compared to alternative roofing systems.
- Self-flashing and seamless – therefore no leaks.
- Is highly chemical resistant.
- Requires minimal upkeep to remain under warranty.
- Lasts forever if properly maintained.
Varies widely depending on numerous a number of factors including: thickness, types and thickness of coating and covering, degree of substrate penetration, and availability. When compared to other roofing systems having the same R-value, slope considerations and warranty, SPF roofs are usually more economical. When the life cycle costs of all roofing systems are compared, SPF is the most economical choice by a very wide margin.
Numerous warranties are available from RPC Industries, Inc. and our vendors depending on the need and desires of the end user. We offer coating warranties to full system 20-year warranties including unlimited wind uplift and hail coverage up to 3 inches. New penetrations in the roofing system are easily installed and become a part of the warranted roofing system.